Our Great Milestones
For over 100 years, JSC has been at the forefront of the timber industry in New Zealand, pioneering new products, materials, and finishes that have set the standard for quality and innovation. From our humble beginnings in Dunedin in 1900, we have grown to become one of New Zealand's leading architectural and building solutions partners, building on a legacy of excellence that was started by our founder Jack Scott over a century ago.
Established in Dunedin in 1900 by the son of Scottish settlers, Jack Scott, the business was named J Scott and Company and initially specialised in carving wooden signage, interior mouldings, and timber frames for interiors and furniture. Some of our earliest work can still be found in homes, offices, and museums within the city centre.
1910's - 1940's
Expansion & Survival
In 1908, the business expanded with the arrival of Jack's brother George Scott's. George brought fresh entrepreneurial vigor to the business. He spearheaded the timber journey and plywood sector, sourcing materials from Australia, Scandinavia, and North America despite facing challenges from World War I. During the Depression years, and World War II, George and his wife Ethel managed to navigate difficulties and sustain the business. Company records depicted fluctuating fortunes, particularly during the Depression years evident in reduced staff, salaries, and increasing bank loans. Nevertheless, George's determination ensured the firm's survival.
1950's - 1970's
After World War II and George Scott's sad passing in 1947, Stuart Scott took charge, continuing the family legacy. Fresh from active war service in the Pacific and armed with a just completed law degree, Stuart led JSC towards new horizons. The 1950s saw the company prosper with the recovery of New Zealand from wartime disruptions. Timber imports from North America and Australian hardwoods for infrastructure bolstered their success. Additionally, JSC became agents for British Plaster Board, importing very substantial volumes of interior plasterboard linings, as well as Scandinavian plyboards. Import restrictions in 1958 prompted them to establish the Panel Wood factory in 1964 at Te Atatu, Auckland, making JSC a leader in New Zealand's manufacture of decorative veneered board and plywood.
While panel products were the growth market, the renamed Timber Division performed steadfastly in the South. In 1976, an Auckland Timber Division was formed separate from the Panel Wood Division lead by Malcolm Scott, Stuart Scott's son. Malcolm had experienced an active start to trading life in Dunedin and London, and was about to start his life's work.
Transition & Focus
By 1988, Stuart Scott retired. J Scott and Company reverted back to being solely timber importers after selling the Panel Product Division to Carter Holt. The elimination of import licensing in 1984 had spurred remarkable growth for Cedar weatherboards and hardwood decking. JSC became the leading importer of Kwila, Vitex, and Balau decking and still is today. In order to accelerate the manufacture of Cedar Weatherboards and accommodate an expanding need for warehousing, in 1990 Malcolm formed a successful partnership with EP Maddren & Sons of Kumeu for the next ten years, enjoying a growing market share.
New Partnership & Navigating The Global Financial Crisis
Since their fortuitous meeting in 1972, Malcolm Scott and Graham Gibbs have maintained a good friendship. In 2000, as the partnership with EP Maddren concluded, Graham and Dean Hodgson from PSP Limited were invited to invest in JSC, thereby shaping its future. Amid the Global Financial Crisis in 2006, JSC adapted by investing considerably into value-adding and processing. Within a few years, they established their processing site in Riverhead, becoming one of New Zealand's premier weatherboarding, cladding, and siding manufacturers with a nationwide distribution and presence.
2010 - present
Growth & Positive Horizons
2010 marked the end of a long-standing partnership between the Scott family and JSC, with Malcom selling the remaining shares of the business to the Gibbs family. Malcolm Scott still remains working at JSC. The foundation and values on which JSC was built have always remained right at the heart of the business. The continued commitment over the years to hard work, consistency, integrity, and quality craftsmanship means JSC has consistently maintained a trusted reputation for excellence.
This reputation endures today, as does the ability to adapt and evolve, to better serve the needs of customers, and to solve the challenges facing the building industry and the environment.
Today, JSC embraces cutting-edge technology and innovation to drive the business forward, with ground-breaking new timber products, production techniques and installation systems that directly benefit the building sector and lead the way for the industry. We are dedicated to positive environmental impacts and sustainable practices, acknowledging our responsibility and our commitment to future generations. We are committed to implementing and maintaining the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC®) Chain of Custody requirements for certified timber products and are proud members of New Zealand Timber Importers’ Association (NZTIA) and New Zealand Imported Timber Trade Group (NZITTG). All imported timber is sourced from legal and environmentally responsible and sustainable forests.
While we look ahead towards the next horizon, we will always acknowledge our past and the hard work of our people. Though the business has changed over the past 120 years, our values, our integrity and our commitment to quality has held steadfast, ensuring that the positive legacy of JSC stands proudly today and for years to come.